I Built a Bicycle

By: Jill Finger

Aug 27 2014

Category: Uncategorized

Leave a comment

Aperture:f/2.4
Focal Length:4.12mm
ISO:125
Shutter:1/20 sec
Camera:iPhone 5

After nine months of working on my “Sunday Ride” block of the month quilt, I am at the last (and biggest) block.  The pattern suggested constructing the block on a plastic pressing sheet and then moving it to the fabric.  I placed the drawing of the bicycle under the plastic pressing sheet and carefully constructed the bike, touching the tip of the iron where fabrics joined together to stabilize them.  When the bicycle was all built, I carefully peeled it off the plastic  and positioned it on the background.  That’s when the trouble started.  A couple pieces came loose and try as I might, I couldn’t get them to lie flat.  Wes helped by holding down the back wheel while I adjusted the connection bars between the front and back wheels.  What fit perfectly together on the pressing sheet, no longer did.  I adjusted, wiggled and finally cut about a half inch off one bar–and then it fit.  All the fabric was flat and I quickly hit it with the iron to make it adhere  to the background. Today, I will machine buttonhole stitch around the the pieces to to attach them permanently.  In the time it took to construct this fabric bike, I could have built a real one, and I feel like I have, except as April said, I’m not greasy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: